Friday, June 12, 2009

Taking a Stand


So the paleosphere is abuzz with the news that the University of Wymoing is cutting its geological museum. Prop especially go to ReBecca, who is trying to basically mount a campaign to get them to reconsider this unfortunate decision. One of the things she recommends is signing an online petition protesting this. While I've signed it and am doing everything in my power to help this effort, I still have to point out that online petitions are glorified hit counters that are are too easy to fake and only taken seriously by chumps (admittedly, Provost Allen appears to be a chump.)

If you want to be taken seriously, you fax things. Faxes are annoying, they take up paper, they're noisy and they have to be addressed. If you're using windows, there is built-in software you can use that takes a couple minutes max. I've been trying to find the fax #'s of pivotal people in this decision, so I'd appreciate anyone helping me with this as I've only found 2:

Provost Myron Allen:

(307) 766-2606

Division of Administration (I understad they make the budget):

(307) 766-34336

Here's what I sent them. I'm a little unhappy with how I came off, but it's better than nothing.

I have recently become aware of the university's decision to cut the Geological Museum entirely as a result of reduction in funding by the state. I understand the state's need for thrift in these difficult times, but scrapping such a valuable resource while reducing the athletics budget by a mere $600,000 shows warped priorities. While there are plenty of colleges that offer competitive athletics programs, the geological museum offers a unique opportunity for both students and the public that cannot be replaced. The university would do well to consider the stated purpose for its existence- education, and whether it is better served by preserving this unique resource or favouring sports that have already been pampered to an unneeded degree.

-Louis Bérubé

P.S.- I really feel bad for the fax machine. If it hadn't come out right before email it would have been a bitchin' invention.

1 comment:

ReBecca Hunt-Foster said...

Thanks Louis. I know it is hard to not bitch at them, but we want to "stay on target" and tell them they are wrong in a nice way ;) It is very hard, I understand completely! Thanks for sending your letter!